Blog
Writing
Blog posts, notes, and short tips. Some are polished, some are works in progress, and each one is labeled with how finished it is. I think of it as a digital garden.
- Seedling · Draft
- Early idea. Rough and likely to change.
- Budding · In progress
- Useful, but still being revised.
- Evergreen · Complete
- Stable and considered. I stand behind this one.
- Outdated · No longer current
- Kept for reference. The advice or APIs have moved on.
Posts
16 entries
- TILEvergreen · Complete
TIL: NPM Legacy Peer Dependencies
An easier route forward when upgrading dependencies and you run into peer dependency issues.
Published Feb 2025 · 1 min
- TILEvergreen · Complete
TIL: SVG Favicons
I learned favicons are a more complicated topic than I expected!
Published Jan 2025 · 1 min
- ArticleEvergreen · Complete
A11y Fast: Link Purpose
How to make pages more nagivable and understandable through descriptive and consistent links
Published Oct 2023 · 5 min
- ArticleEvergreen · Complete
Building an Accessible Input with a Floating Label
Building an accessible input component with a floating label using React, Tailwind, React Input Mask, and Storybook
Published Sep 2023 · 7 min
- NoteOutdated · No longer current
My New Favorite React Template
A new template for React apps that I built and used while interviewing
Published Feb 2023 · 1 min
- ArticleEvergreen · Complete
Feature Flags with React & GraphQL
Build support for fetching feature flags, unique to users, in GraphQL
Published Jun 2022 · 6 min
- ArticleEvergreen · Complete
Carbon Health's Resilient Enterprise Frontend Application
A peek under the hood into how Carbon Health rebuilt their enterprise app, engineered for speed and resilience
Published Jun 2022 · 5 min
- ArticleEvergreen · Complete
React Style Guide
Build modern conventional React components
Published Jun 2022 · 8 min
- ArticleEvergreen · Complete
GraphQL Style Guide
Designing a resilient GraphQL schema for large data graphs
Published Jun 2022 · 13 min
- NoteEvergreen · Complete
Open Source Software From My Eyes
Notes from a guest lecture I gave on open source projects
Published Feb 2021 · 3 min
- NoteEvergreen · Complete
Unwrap and Expect in Rust
Explaining how to use unwrap and expect in Rust project to handle Option and Result!
Published Apr 2020 · 5 min
- NoteBudding · In progress
Getting Acquainted with Rust — First Look
Exploring where Rust shines, and my first impressions
Published Mar 2020 · 8 min
- ArticleEvergreen · Complete
Authorization in GraphQL
Practical methods for controlling access to the data in your API
Published May 2018 · www.apollographql.com ↗
- NoteOutdated · No longer current
More Testable React Components
Some simple lessons I learned while refactoring components for unit testing
Published Oct 2016 · 5 min
- NoteEvergreen · Complete
Intro to Functional Programming Concepts
Some early notes of mine taken while I was learning functional programming
Published Aug 2016 · 5 min
- NoteOutdated · No longer current
Default Props in React
(Deprecated) using React class components' default props
Published Jan 2016 · 2 min